Chair Resurrection

Since we’re having to move out of the sheds we’ve been using for storage (for the most part, anyway) I’ve taken the opportunity to see how easy it’s going to be to breathe new life into these old pub chairs we got given years ago and have been hanging onto ever since.

before

They were in sound shape in terms of the frames. The seats were pretty perished, though, not to mention ugly to begin with.

seat and back removed

Seat and back came off with a few screws, definitely the easy bit.

painting woodwork

I had a tin of gloss paint kicking around, so I figured I’d use it up. Although I wiped and sanded the woodwork, it didn’t stick super-well going on, so we’ll see how it fares.

 

reupholstering seat

I cut the seat cover off, rather than pry out a million tiny staples. Then I just stapled on the new cover. The fabric came from a van-load I got given from a friend who inherited all the old stock from a market stall holder.

seat finished

So far so good.

reupholstering back

The back was a bit more of a challenge, being covered front and back, but after some experimentation I got the pattern mostly right. A bit of wrinkling on the inside curve, but I’m pretty happy with the results.

finished

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.