Here we are, enjoying a delicious outdoor-reared waffle breakfast, all unaware that the next hour would bring…
Garden progress. And…
A giant swarm of bees. From our own beehive. We forgot to read the book, which said in chapter 1: put a super on in April to give the bees enough room. Otherwise they’ll swarm.
They gathered quite quickly on one of the blueberry bushes, and we quickly set up a hive to try to catch them.
They were quite easily shaken off the bush into a bucket.
And the bucket dumped into the waiting hive.
Two lots of bucket dumping didn’t seem to have got them all, so we took the blueberry bush itself up to the hive.
But they very quickly reassembled on the next blueberry bush to where they had originally congregated. Obviously they had decided on that spot. We stuck an empty brood box next to them, hoping that they would decide to go in it.
But they hung around until evening before flying off in a giant cloud, never to be seen again. Oh well, we still have the remainder of the original hive.
Meanwhile, at the back corner of the plot, Catie and I removed the raised bed at the base of the wall ready to erect a workspace/shed with the windfall reclaimed wood Antony has given us.
Progress was quick with Catie, Anna, Daisy and me all working on it on the weekend.
And today I finished the roof frame with Anna and Lea’s help.
It’s ready for the roof going on tomorrow, all being well.